Leo's Grilled Cabbage
Rose Mary Mogan
- 3 -3 1/2 lb
- whole head cabbage, with whole outer leaves
- 1/2 stick
- butter or margarine softened
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 medium
- medium green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium
- onion , chopped
- fresh or dried chive, chopped for garnish
- non fat squeeze margarine
- 1/2 tsp
- red bell pepper, chopped
How to Make Leo's Grilled Cabbage
- 1Blanch outer leaves of cabbage in boiling water for 3-4 minutes, until leaves turn a bright green.
Arrance leaves on a large platter & set aside.
- 2In a medium bowl add softened butter or margarine, salt & pepper, minced garlic, green or red bell pepper& onion. mix together well. With a sharp knife core a DEEP well into center of cabbage, by removing core/
- 3Fill core cavity of cabbage with butter mixture. Rub any excess butter mixture on outside of cabbage. DOUBLE WRAP cabbage with heavy duty foil. Leaving cabbage in an upright position. Bake in 350 degree F. oven for 1 hour to 1 hr 15 minutes or more, or over hot charcoals until a soft indention is left in cabbage if pressed with finger.When done place cabbage in middle of serving platter, starting from center & cutting down, slice into wedges, allowing wedges to fall in a spiral fashion. Squeeze soft spread margarine over top, & sprinkle with paprika, add chopped chive & chopped red bell pepper. Serve immediately
- 4GARNISHING TO PLEASE: Or you may choose to add red bell pepper strips between each wedge of cabbage as I did in the picture. I also filled one half of a bell pepper with catsup, and another with fresh Horseradish, and garnished the tops with chopped green onions & the other with Chopped red bell pepper. There were not enough cabbage leaves to line the platter ,so I used Fresh Mustard greens. Use your imagination to make your food more appealing,& appetizing.