LEEK AND BARLEY RISOTTO
- 1 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- leeks, white part only, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- cracked black peppercorns
- 2 c
- pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 can(s)
- (28 oz.) tomatoes, including juice, coarsely chopped
- 3 c
- vegetable or chicken stock or water
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, optional
How to Make LEEK AND BARLEY RISOTTO
- 1Clean the leeks. Fill sink full of lukewarm water. Split leeks in half lengthwise and submerge in water, swishing them around to remove all traces of dirt. Transfer to a colander and rinse under cold water.
- 2In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring, until softened. Add salt, peppercorns and barley and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- 3Add tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil. Transfer to slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours. Stir in Parmesan, if using, and serve piping hot.