Italian Greens with Sauteed Onions and Garlic
But, I am all about home cooked meals. So, of course, it would be fitting to prepare this lovely appetizer, or side dish at home. You'll find many different recipes for greens, each family makes it their own traditional way. Our way is a combination of my husband's family recipe & mine.
- 1 bunch
- fresh collard greens, washed, stems removed, and chopped
- 1 bunch
- fresh spinach, washed, stems removed, & chopped
- 2 lb
- escarole, fresh washed, cored, and chopped
- 1/4 c
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium
- white onions, julianned
- 6-8 clove
- garlic, peeled & sliced
- 1-2 tsp
- hot red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp
- coarse sea salt
- parmesan cheese, for topping
How to Make Italian Greens with Sauteed Onions and Garlic
- 1In a large pot, fill with water. Bring to a boil. Add chopped collard greens, spinach, and escarole. Bring to a boil and cook until greens are tender. About 8-10 minutes. Greens will be soft, but not mushy.
Remove greens and set aside in a strainer to drain excess water. Can squeeze greens to remove water as well.