Irish Parsnip Cakes
Margaret says - I've always loved potato cakes, so when I was served parsnips cakes at a friend's country kitchen in Cork I wondered why I hadn't thought of this delicious idea before.
1 lbparsnips, peeled and sliced
2 Tbspall-purpose flour
2 Tbspbutter, melted
·pinch of mace
·flour, for dredging
·vegetable oil, for frying
How to Make Irish Parsnip Cakes
- In a saucepan, cook the parsnips in boiling salted water until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes to absorb stock. Drain and mash.
- Add the flour, melted butter, mace, salt, and pepper to the parsnips and blend well.
- Shape mixture into 4 evenly sized cakes. Lightly dredge in flour, pass through egg wash, then bread crumbs.
- In a large fry pan over medium high heat, heat the oil. When hot, cook cakes on each side until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in a preheated 300°F oven for 4 to 5 minutes longer.