Homemade Sauerkraut 1975
Homemade sauerkraut is so much better than what can be bought in the store.
- 1 small
- (1 pound) head of green cabbage, shredded fine (about 6 cups)
- 2 tsp
How to Make Homemade Sauerkraut 1975
- 1Combine cabbage and salt in large clean bowl and let it stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 2The cabbage will start to get limp and some liquid will be released.
- 3Press all the cabbage tightly into a 1-pint canning jar including the liquid.
- 4Press the cabbage down to submerge, then top with wad of crumpled waxed paper to hold the cabbage under the liquid. (The cabbage must all be submerged, all the time.)
- 5Cover the jar with the lid, then screw it on loosely with the band (do not close tightly)
- 6Place the jar into a glass bowl or other non-metal container and let it stand at room temperature for 8 to 10 days (or longer) or until fermentation stops. Some liquid will rise out of the jar which is the reason for the bowl.
- 7Always keep the cabbage covered with the liquid. Press it down and add another wad of waxed paper to keep it submerged.
- 8NOTE: To make 1 quart of sauerkraut use 2 pounds of cabbage, let stand 15 days.
For 1/2 gallon use 4 pounds cabbage and let stand 25 days.
Use 2 teaspoons salt per pound of cabbage
- 9Other people use other methods to keep the cabbage submerged during fermentation. One person did not put the lid on the jar, but filled another smaller jar with liquid and placed it on top of the waxed paper inside the cabbage jar to weigh it down.
- 10You may want to set this on an enclosed porch... or even in the basement... the smell can get a bit strong in the kitchen.