- 3/4 c
- uncooked dried chick peas, rinsed and sorted
- 1/2 c
- uncooked bulgur wheat
- 1 1/2 c
- coarsely crumbled whole wheat bread
- 1/2 c
- 1/4 c
- fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp
- chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 clove
- garlic minced
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- red pepper flakes
- vegetable oil
How to Make Homemade Falafel
- 1Quick soak chick peas by placing them in a medium sauce pan then cover with 4 inches of water. Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain and discard water.
- 2Cook chick peas by placing in a large saucepan and cover with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours until tender. Rinse drain set aside.
- 3Mean while prepare bulgur wheat according to package directions and set aside.
- 4Place bread in a small baking pan and pour 1/2 cup of water over bread and let stand 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Squeeze water from bread.
- 5Place chick peas, lemon juice, cilantro, garlic, cumin, salt and red pepper in a food processor and process until smooth.
- 6Add bread and bulgur wheat to food processor and process until combined.
- 7Shape falafel mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Let dry at room temperature 1 hour.
- 8Heat 2 to 3 inches of oil in a large dutch oven over med to high heat. Carefully add falafel to skillet and cook 3 to 3 1/2 minutes or until golden brown.
- 9Remove falafel and place on a wire rack to cool
- 10Serve with Garlic Tahini sauce... which is in the spreads section of this website.