3/4 cuncooked dried chick peas, rinsed and sorted
1/2 cuncooked bulgur wheat
1 1/2 ccoarsely crumbled whole wheat bread
1/4 cfresh lemon juice
3 Tbspchopped fresh cilantro
2 clovegarlic minced
1/2 tspred pepper flakes
How to Make Homemade Falafel
- Quick soak chick peas by placing them in a medium sauce pan then cover with 4 inches of water. Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain and discard water.
- Cook chick peas by placing in a large saucepan and cover with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours until tender. Rinse drain set aside.
- Mean while prepare bulgur wheat according to package directions and set aside.
- Place bread in a small baking pan and pour 1/2 cup of water over bread and let stand 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Squeeze water from bread.
- Place chick peas, lemon juice, cilantro, garlic, cumin, salt and red pepper in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add bread and bulgur wheat to food processor and process until combined.
- Shape falafel mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Let dry at room temperature 1 hour.
- Heat 2 to 3 inches of oil in a large dutch oven over med to high heat. Carefully add falafel to skillet and cook 3 to 3 1/2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove falafel and place on a wire rack to cool
- Serve with Garlic Tahini sauce... which is in the spreads section of this website.