Healthy Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes
Ruth Ann Vokac
It can be cooked ahead of when it is needed and warmed in a microwave--just add the pecans before serving.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 lbsweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cunsweetened applesauce
1/4 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
3 Tbspdiet margarine (like brummel and brown)
1 tspground cinnamon
1/4 cchopped nuts (optional)
How to Make Healthy Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Place in a slow cooker
- Mix rest of the ingredients except pecans. Spoon over sweet potatoes in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours until potatoes are very tender. (Note: Check tenderness after 3-4 hours. I cooked mine only 3.5 hours.)
- If using, toast pecans in an ungreased skillet over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle over sweet potatoes.
- Serve immediately.
Leftovers can be frozen in individual servings.
- Note: This recipe is versatile--use your creativity to adjust as you wish.
— cut fat and calories by cutting some of the sugar and diet margarine
— substitute brown sugar with agave nectar or honey
— substitute the applesauce with diced peaches or pineapple