Healthy Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes
Ruth Ann Vokac
It can be cooked ahead of when it is needed and warmed in a microwave--just add the pecans before serving.
- 2 lb
- sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 c
- unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 Tbsp
- diet margarine (like brummel and brown)
- 1 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1/4 c
- chopped nuts (optional)
How to Make Healthy Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes
- 1Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- 2Place in a slow cooker
- 3Mix rest of the ingredients except pecans. Spoon over sweet potatoes in the slow cooker.
- 4Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours until potatoes are very tender.
- 5If using, toast pecans in an ungreased skillet over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle over sweet potatoes.
- 6Serve immediately.
Leftovers can be frozen in individual servings.
- 7Note: This recipe is versatile--use your creativity to adjust as you wish.
— cut fat and calories by cutting some of the sugar and diet margarine
— substitute brown sugar with agave nectar or honey
— substitute the applesauce with diced peaches or pineapple