Harvard Beets (Vegan and Sugar Free)
Keep in mind that these are relatively sweet. I prefer to eat these cold, I think they taste better.
FOR THE BEETS
2 cbeets, peeled and diced
·enough water to cover (note you may need to add more over the cooking process)
FOR THE SAUCE
2 tsporganic cornstarch
1/4 c(plus two teaspoons) xylitol
1/4 cliquid from beets
2 Tbspwhite vinegar
2 Tbspearth balance, vegan buttery spread
How to Make Harvard Beets (Vegan and Sugar Free)
- Peel and dice the raw beets.
(Cook them completely if you are going to use the left over liquid from the beets because you will need it to mix in the rest of the ingredients.)
- Cook the diced beets in a covered sauce pan for about 30 minutes or until tender. Check the beets every 10 minutes to make sure the water hasn't evapourated on you. And remember you will need at least 1/4 cup of liquid when they are done cooking, so add more water to the pot if need be.
- Once the beets are done, In another saucepan, mix the cornstarch and xylitol.
Add the beet liquid and heat on med. low until thickened.
- Add the vinegar and Earth Balance and cook a little longer, but be careful not to let it thicken too much.
- Stir the red beet liquid into the cooked beets and then put them in a container in the fridge. Cool completely. This makes 16 oz. or two cups of beets.