Handmade Tater Tots
How to Make Handmade Tater Tots
- Preheat oil to 325 degrees and par-fry potatoes [in batches] and drain on paper towels. When complete, cool to the point where you can handle comfortably in your hand. Take oil off heat.
- Press par-fried potatoes through potato ricer and reserve in mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle over cornstarch, kosher salt, sugar and pepper. Carefully "coat" the potato "rice" without creating mashed potatoes.
- Place 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the potato mixture on parchment paper and carefully roll into a "log" that is 3/4" in diameter. Chill the "logs" in the refrigerator for no less than an hour.
- Reheat oil to 375 degrees.
- Cut potato "logs" into 1" to 1 1/4" long sections and fry until golden brown. Season with salt, pepper and dip in ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce or aioli! Enjoy!