Grits and Greens Casserole
Blue Ribbon Recipe
The robustness of this recipe makes it a wonderful addition to any meal. It's quite filling, so a little goes a long way. We had great success dividing the dish before baking and then freezing it. Simply add the bacon and cheese when you're ready to do the final baking. The Test Kitchen
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 6 or 7
- pieces of bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 c
- grits (not instant)
- 1 large
- bag of frozen greens - your choice, i like collards or spinach
- 2 stick
- 1 c
- grated parmesan cheese
- 2 c
- monterey jack cheese (reserve a little for topping)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 c
- chicken broth--divided
- 2 c
- half and half or heavy cream
How to Make Grits and Greens Casserole
- 1Preheat oven to 350
- 2In a skillet cook your bacon..when done drain almost all the grease reserve some and saulte onion until the are carmelized.set aside bacon and crumble for topping.
- 3In a large pot combine 1/2 and 1/2 and 6 cups of chicken broth. Bring to a boil, stir in grits, bring back to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Stir often to keep from burning. Cook aprox 25-30 min. You want normal grits consistency. I use a wisk to get the lumps out.
- 4while grits are cooking ... cook greens in remaining 2 cups of broth. Cook approx 10 min, or until tender. Drain and squeeze out all liquid.
- 5Add butter, cheeses, onion and salt and pepper to grits. when butter is melted stir in greens.
- 6Place mixture in a greased 13x9 dish. Top with crumbled bacon and a little reserved cheese.
- 7Bake in oven until golden brown ..approx 15 min