Grilled & Stuffed Squash
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This is a lovely meatless option for the grill. Light and fresh, it still serves up a super-satisfying flavor. Next time I'm thinking about adding chopped jalapenos too... yum! The Test Kitchen
- yellow crooked neck squash
- 1/2 stick
- 1 c
- cubed velveeta cheese (or shredded cheddar cheese)
- medium sized onion, diced
- large tomato, diced
- 2 clove
- garlic, finely chopped
- 1 c
- diced vegetable of your choice (i use zucchini or squash)
- cilantro and other fresh herbs (i.e. basil, oregano, thyme)
- you can cook this dish in the oven at 425 for 35-45 mins, or try it in the microwave (cook on high for 6 mins, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then microwave again for 6 minutes (for a dish of 4 halves).
How to Make Grilled & Stuffed Squash
- 1Slice the ends off the squash and cut them down the center lengthwise so there are two halves. Scoop out the seeds, making a well for the stuffing ingredients.
- 2Cut up and mix together all the remaining ingredients (excluding the butter) in a bowl and salt & pepper the mixture to taste.
- 3Place the squash on a large piece of aluminum foil and fill the center of each squash half with the mixture, then dot each one with butter. Sprinkle herbs and a bit of salt & pepper over the top of squash and cover loosely with foil (so the cheese doesn’t stick to the foil).
- 4Place the stuffed squash on the grill for around 20-30 minutes. You want the squash to be cooked well and the cheese & butter melted. Serve and enjoy!