Grilled Collards and Jicama with Sweet Pepper
I love jicama and I love to grill, so why not?
2 bunchcollard greens, stems removed
1 largejicama, peeled, sliced lenthwise
1 largered bell pepper, stems and seeds removed, sliced into 1
2 Tbspolive oil (one for boiling water, one for jicama slices)
·salt and pepper
How to Make Grilled Collards and Jicama with Sweet Pepper
- Preheat grill. Assuming you are grilling protien also, you will char the greens over direct heat. Use a high heat...approximately 400 degrees.
- Bring large pot of water to a rolling boil and add olive oil.
- Brush jicama slices with olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Wilt greens in boiling water for approximately 2 minutes, remove from boiling water and quickly douse with cold water to stop cooking.
- Stack collard leaves in 6-8 leaf stacks.
- Grill jicama slices on one side until slightly charred (approximately 2 minutes).
- Flip jicama and place the collard stacks on the grill. Grill for approximately 2 minutes until greens are slightly charred on one side.
- Remove jicama from grill and flip collard stacks and grill for an additional 2 minutes.
- Slice jicama into 1 1/2" X 1/4" slices and rough chop collard stacks.
- Mix jicama, greens and red pepper. Season mixture with salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.