Grilled Collards and Jicama with Sweet Pepper
I love jicama and I love to grill, so why not?
- 2 bunch
- collard greens, stems removed
- 1 large
- jicama, peeled, sliced lenthwise
- 1 large
- red bell pepper, stems and seeds removed, sliced into 1
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil (one for boiling water, one for jicama slices)
- salt and pepper
- hot sauce
How to Make Grilled Collards and Jicama with Sweet Pepper
- 1Preheat grill. Assuming you are grilling protien also, you will char the greens over direct heat. Use a high heat...approximately 400 degrees.
- 2Bring large pot of water to a rolling boil and add olive oil.
- 3Brush jicama slices with olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 4Wilt greens in boiling water for approximately 2 minutes, remove from boiling water and quickly douse with cold water to stop cooking.
- 5Stack collard leaves in 6-8 leaf stacks.
- 6Grill jicama slices on one side until slightly charred (approximately 2 minutes).
- 7Flip jicama and place the collard stacks on the grill. Grill for approximately 2 minutes until greens are slightly charred on one side.
- 8Remove jicama from grill and flip collard stacks and grill for an additional 2 minutes.
- 9Slice jicama into 1 1/2" X 1/4" slices and rough chop collard stacks.
- 10Mix jicama, greens and red pepper. Season mixture with salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.