Granny Sandy's Simple Salad
1head of iceburg lettuce
1/2 csweet onion (yellow, red or white)
4 ozmedium cheddar cheese (e.g., colby longhorn)
1/2 cmiracle whip salad dressing
1/4 tspsalt and pepper
1/2 tspwhite vinegar
How to Make Granny Sandy's Simple Salad
- Clean the lettuce and core it, then either tear or shred it into strips or bite-sized pieces; place in salad bowl.
- Dice onion into very small pieces and add to lettuce.
- Cut cheddar cheese into very small cubes(do not shred) and add to lettuce.
- In a separate small bowl, mix salad dressing, salt, pepper, vinegar and sugar. Mix well until sugar is dissolved and dressing is smooth and creamy.
- Refrigerate both bowls. Right before serving, add dressing to lettuce and toss well. If salad appears a little "dry", make a little more dressing and add, as required.
- NOTE: If you just can't bring yourself to use Miracle Whip, then substitute mayonnaise, but add an extra tablespoon of sugar.