Fried Green Tomatoes in Cream
- cup flour
- cup yellow corn meal
- 2 tbs
- sugar, i use about 1 tbs
- large green tomatoes, sliced 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
- 3 tbs
- butter, add extra virgin olive oil, as needed to fry
- salt and pepper, or preferred seasoning, to taste
- 1 tbs
- fresh, minced basil or parsley
- cup heavy cream, or own substitution
How to Make Fried Green Tomatoes in Cream
- 1Mix flour and cornmeal, plus sugar, on waxed paper, or in pie plate. Lightly dredge tomatoes in mixture.
- 2Melt butter and about 1 -2 tbs of evoo in heavy skillet over medium heat. Add tomatoes in single layers. Add olive oil as needed.
- 3Cook till bottoms are light brown. Turn and season to taste. Cook to just tender. Remove to heated dish.
- 4Add cream and basil to pan drippings, may have to pour some of drippings off, being careful not to pour off browned bits. After adding cream, cook, stirring, to scrape up browned bits from bottom of skillet, just till heated through, do not boil. Pour over tomatoes and serve at once.