Fresh Southern Style Green Beans
How to Make Fresh Southern Style Green Beans
- 1Remove ends and any strings from green beans and discard. Break or cut green beans into 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces into a strainer.
- 2Once beans are all broken, wash green beans thoroughly, removing any dirt that might be present. Place into a large heavy saucepan or dutch oven and cover with water.
- 3Cut or break bacon into small pieces and add to beans. Add about one to two tablespoons of the bacon grease, reserving the rest to use another time. Add salt.
- 4Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low to medium low. Cover and simmer for about two to three hours until tender. Enjoy with some fresh baked cornbread and iced tea or with your favorite main dish.
- 5ALTERNATE COOKING METHOD: Prepare the green beans as above, but place them in a pressure cooker instead of a saucepan/dutch oven. Process according to your manufactures instructions for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Once pressure has dropped, you may add some fresh peeled potatoes or small new potatoes. Return to heat and pressure cook for about another 12 to 15 minutes. Once pressure has dropped, you may remove the lid from the cooker and serve.