1/2head of cabbage, shredded
1 largecarrot, shredded
1 largecelery stalk, shredded
1 mediumonion, diced small
·salt and pepper to taste
1/4-1/2 tspginger, or to taste
1 pkgegg roll wraps
How to Make Egg Rolls
- Start by shredding the cabbage, carrot and celery in a large bowl and set aside. dice the onion and add to the vegetables.
- In WOK, heat about 2 TBSP of vegetable oil to a ripple. Add the vegetables and stir to coat slightly. season as desired with salt, pepper and ginger and stir thoroughly.
- Cover and steam for about 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently throughout. Mixture should be tender and not soggy when done. If you're not sure remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- After mixture has cooled, remove egg roll wraps from package and separate carefully. Lay wrap on dry surface at a diamond angle with one of the corners pointed at you. Use about 2 rounded teaspoons, (NOT HEAPING), of the mixture and place it in the center of the wrap going corner to corner across it. (that may not be clear. Keep the mixture in the center but spread it out a few inches.)
- Fold the corner of the wrap closest to you over the vegetable mixture so that your corner is in line with the opposite corner from you. DAMPEN the edges together with just enough water to make a stick and then do the same with each of the other corners, left and right of you and fold over towards the middle of the "log" you have created, sealing them to the center of the roll. *** It should look like an open envelope if done correctly*** The wrap CANNOT be too soggy or too wet, or the wrap will tear on you when you try to work with it. (I just barely touch the tip of my finger to the top of the water and that's usually enough.)
- Once all of the wraps are done and ready to work with, fill the wok with about 4 cups of vegetable oil and heat to a rippling effect. Lower each egg roll into the hot oil carefully and cook for about 3-5 minutes total or until they are a nice golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. can be served with Sweet and Sour Sauce. this is a basic recipe that you can work from. If you want meat in it, add about a cup of your choice, diced with the exception of shrimp. ENJOY!