He still loves to go "mushroom hunting". With his friend, or people from church, he will get up super early at the crack of dawn, and take a drive out to forests in Wisconsin or Indiana, and pick buckets and buckets of fresh 'shrooms. He even has a special 'shroom knife he takes along on these expiditions; I remember it well from when I was younger and he would bring it on every vacation (road trips), just in case he happened upon a 'shroom colony. He can tell from just looking at it what mushroom it is. He even built a homemade dehydrator in his basement to dry mushrooms. It is cool, but it stinks up the house when its in use, and wow, does that really piss my mom off.
Once I tried to make him proud and I brought home, from a trip to WI, a basket of mushrooms I picked myself, but they all ended up being poisonous. A 'shroom farmer I will never be.
2 ptoyster mushrooms
1 ptshittake mushrooms
2/3 cbeer (i used heineken)
1 Tbspkosher salt
2 Tbspolive oil
2-3fresh celery leaves, chopped
2-3fresh basil leaves, chopped
·small handful of fresh parsley, chopped
How to Make Drunken Mushrooms
- Heat 1 TBS olive oil in pan. Keep pan on low - low/med heat.
- Rinse mushrooms well. Chop off ends of the short stems of the oyster mushrooms. Drop them into the pan, and let them sautee without stirring for about 2-3 minutes. Then, stir, and let sautee for another 2-3 minutes (depends on how big your oyster mushrooms are... they can get HUGE, so either cut them in half, or increase the sautee time if they are that big).
- In the meantime, chop off the hard stems from shittake mushrooms. After oyster mushrooms have been sauteeing for about 5-6 minutes, add the shittake into the pan.
- Give it a good stir. Add now the other tablespoon of olive oil, the salt and garlic. Stir and let sautee for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the rest of your beer. Stir, cover and let simmer for 7-8 minutes.
- Uncover and test to see if 'shrooms are tender, and if liquid is mostly gone. If not, then add a splash of water, cover it up and let it simmer on low heat for a few more minutes.
- At the end, stir in the sugar, and the chopped herbs. Keep it covered until ready to serve.
***** These drunken shrooms have a strong, bitter taste to them and are meant to be served as mixed with some carmelized onions, or as a diced topping on salad. If you can handle the flavor, eat them by themselves along with a good piece of rye bread.