Deb's Best Traditional Greens Southern Style
1 largeonion diced
1 bunchgreens young
12 Tbspbacon drippings
1 pkgham hocks
3 tspsalt and pepper or to taste
1 tspdried red pepper
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE LARGE POT AND FRYING PAN READY
How to Make Deb's Best Traditional Greens Southern Style
- Fill your clean sink with cold water. Place your Greens into the water and let them soak 30 mins to soak fluids and gain perkiness.
- Get a large boiling pot and add water,salt,pepper,dried pepper,and ham hocks.Place on medium heat and bring to a low boil.
- While waiting, trim the stems of your greens off to your liking, and place in a stack of four.NOw roll the greens tightly and chop in 1 inch slices and place in the pot of water.Repeat till all the greens are in the pot of boiling water.(remember if they don't fit wait a bit, they will reduce down.) After they are all in the boiling pot, place the heat on medium/ hight heat for an hour.Then when half the water is reduced place on medium/low heat covered partly for about 31/2-4hrs.
- Fry your bacon crisp in a 2 inch deep frying pan.Set bacon to the side and let cool and then break the bacon into bits.Set them to the side.NOw the bacon grease is the true secret to the flavor of these greens.It is up to you how much you want to use but I usually drain grease and leave enough to cover the bottom.ONce your greens are done you will fry them in the bacon drippings.
- Drain greens well and with two knives slice the greens in small bits.
- Heat frying pan with bacon grease and when hot add in greens.At high heat stir constantly for about 5 mins.NOw pour greens into a deep bowl and stir in bacon bits.
- Let stand 10 mins and serve! This is best greens you will ever taste and your family will love you for it.Melts ever so smokey in your mouth.Enjoy!!