10 cpickling cucumber, skin on, sliced thinly
2green bell peppers, chopped
2 clovegarlic, chopped finely
3 largeonions, sliced thinly
1/3 cpickling salt
4trays, ice cubes
3 cwhite vinegar
4 cgranulated sugar
1 1/2 tspturmeric
1 1/2 tspcelery seeds
2 Tbspmustard seeds
How to Make Crispy pickles
- Wash cucumbers well. Do NOT peel. Slice thinly to make rounds, about 1/16 inch thick. A mandolin or box slicer is an easy way to do this. Also for the onions. Most food processors slice too thin, so unless you have different blades avoid.
- In a large pot, combine cucumbers, peppers, garlic and onions. Use your hands to mix in salt and ice cubes. Pour into a large colander (strainer) if you have one and place in sink. (If not, leave in the pot.) let stand for 4 hours.
- Drain well and discard any remaining ice. There is no need to rinse the cucumbers.
- In a large pit or preserving kettle, combine remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer 5 minutes until sugar is dissolved. Add drained vegetables and increase heat to medium high. Bring back to a boil and immediately remove from heat.
- Pack mixture in sterilized jars. Ladle hot syrup into jars and leave 1/8 inch headspace. Seal immediately in water bath for 10 minutes
- Store in a cool dry place for at least 2 weeks before eating. Refrigerate after opening. Makes 12 cups prepared pickles and can easily be doubled or tripled, which is what I do.