foodchickie's Chipotle Smashed Sweet Potatoes
This recipe is very easy to prepare. The steamed sweet potatoes have a great mouth feel and temper the chipotle pepper in a way that makes the dish more savory than spicy. Those of you who love a little heat will love this recipe. This recipe can be increased you suit your needs.
Just a note. Do not be fooled: Chipotles have a Scoville Unit Rating of 15,000 which 5,000 units hotter than your medium-hot Crushed Red.
Please remember to use gloves when cooking with chilies.
How to Make foodchickie's Chipotle Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- Cut washed and peeled sweet potatoes into 1 1/2 to 2 inch pieces.
- Place sweet potatoes in a steamer basket and put in stock pot with water 1 inch below steamer basket. Cover and Steam over medium-high heat for 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Take steamer basket with sweet potatoes out of stock pot and empty water.
- Turn heat to low and dump sweet potatoes into stock pot and add butter.
- Smash with potato masher slightly* then add chipotle pepper and adobo sauce and mix thoroughly with a spatula or wooden spoon.
*Potatoes will be slightly lumpy, you don't want them smooth (unless you like your sweet potatoes that way). Be sure the chipotle is mixed in well as you don't want a mouthful of this pepper.