Cheesy Cauliflower Bake
Sarah Genevra Thorn
*** Before I make any of my dishes I meditate, and focus on baking & cooking with love, it actually does make a difference. XO
1 mediumhead of cauliflower
4 Tbspsalted butter
4 Tbspall purpose flour
2 tspmustard powder
·salt to taste
1-2 pinchcayenne pepper
2 cwhole milk
2 1/4 csharp cheddar (english or irish is best)
·optional: chopped chives or flat-leaf parsley
How to Make Cheesy Cauliflower Bake
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees f
- Trim cauliflower and remove tough core. Cut into 1-2 inch florets. Steam (for approx. 10 min) or Par-boil (6-7 minutes) florets until firm but tender. Drain. If needed, and spread florets on a towel so that it can wick out as much moisture as possible. Meanwhile...
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium - high heat. Add flour and whisk to combine; cook for 1 minute to ensure you get rid of the floury taste. Add mustard powder and a pinch or 2 of cayenne pepper, and stir to combine.
- Pour in milk in a thin steady stream, whisking the whole time so that no lumps form. season with salt and bring mixture to a simmer, stirring with a spoon; mixture should thicken. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheddar, and a handful at a time, allowing each handful to melt before adding the next. Taste the sauce and add any extra seasoning if needed.
- Spread cauliflower florets in a 2-quart dish. Spoon sauce over florets and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until browned and bubbly, about 35-40 min.
- Sprinkle with (optional) herbs, if desired.
- Bon Appetit! XO