Cauliflower and Cheddar Gratin
Blue Ribbon Recipe
With a nice and creamy cheese sauce, this cauliflower gratin is perfection! It has a sweet and savory flavor that I enjoyed. And, really, how can anything be bad with cheese sauce? I see this on my table again in the near future. The Test Kitchen
1 largehead of cauliflower, florets only
3 Tbspbutter, unsalted
4 Tbspall-purpose flour
1 3/4 cmilk, heated
1/4 tspblack pepper
2 tspDijon mustard
1 Tbspdry sherry
1 1/2 csharp cheddar, grated
1/4 cplain, dry breadcrumbs
How to Make Cauliflower and Cheddar Gratin
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower florets to boiling water and parboil for 6-7 minutes. Drain and place in a buttered casserole dish. I use a 10 inch round just under 3 inches deep.
- Make a white sauce by melting the butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour to the butter and stir with a large spoon to incorporate. Add the heated milk and stir constantly with a whisk over medium heat until the sauce comes to a boil.
- Remove white sauce from heat and add all the remaining ingredients, except the breadcrumbs. Whisk well until the cheese is thoroughly melted. Pour sauce over the cauliflower.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top of the cauliflower and cheese sauce.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Let sit 10-15 minutes before serving.