Canned Green Beans
How to Make Canned Green Beans
- In a large pot, add all ingredients (add just enough water to cover the beans) and bring to a rolling boil. Turn down heat and boil until green beans begin to change color.
- Meanwhile, wash and sterilize jar flaps and quart or pint jars (whichever you want to can in). Into pressure cooker pot, fill with hot water until about 1/4 full of water. Place pressure cooker on stove eye you will be cooking on (this saves back breaking labor of lifting heavy pot filled with jars later).
- When jars are full, leave about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch head space at the top of the jar to allow for expansion as pressuring. Fill jar with hot liquid that beans have cooked in also leaving a headspace to allow for expansion. Place filled jar into pressure cooker pot, do not put lids on at this point as they may seal, then will unseal as pressuring and they may not reseal.
- When green beans have boiled and changed color, with a slotted spoon, carefully put hot jars into a bowl (to keep from getting hot liquid everywhere) and fill with hot green beans, pressing down often with a spoon (you can get a lot more beans in a jar this way). Continue filling jars until pressure cooker is to capacity or until you run out of beans (sometimes I have some left over and I'll put them in the frig with the liquid until I can again and then I'll start with them.)
- Put jar flaps and rings on jars and tighten, not TOO tight, now, wait until you remove them from the pressure cooker, then tighten lids. Place top on pressure cooker, then "jiggler" (pressure gauge). Pressure according to your pressure cooker direction book - mine says to pressure green bean quarts 25 minutes and pints 20 minutes at 10 lb. pressure. After cooking required time, remove cooker from eye of stove and set aside to cool. DO NOT remove "jiggler" (pressure gauge) or open top until cooled or you will lose liquid from jars or maybe scraping green beans off the ceiling.
- When pressure has gone down and pot is cooled, remove jars from water