Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin Casserold
- 6 c
- broccoli florets ( 1 large head)
- 6 c
- cauliflower florets (1 small head)
- 4 Tbsp
- 5 Tbsp
- 2 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- egg yolk
- 2 c
- shredded cheddar, swiss, or gruyere cheese ( or a combination of any )
- ritz crackers , crushed ( for topping, optional )
How to Make Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin Casserold
- 1Heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray 15 x 10 1/2-inch baking dish.
- 2Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add broccoli for about 3 minutes (until crisp-tender). Remove with slotted spoon.
- 3Add cauliflower to boiling water and cook about 7 minutes (until crisp-tender). Drain, saving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- 4In a medium pan , melt butter over medium heat.
- 5Whisk in flour until it is blended.
- 6Gradually whisk in the milk, cream, and cooking liquid.
- 7Cook about 1 minute, whisking continuously, until mixture is thickened.
- 8Add in nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- 9Remove from heat and stir in egg yolk and 1 cup of the cheese.
- 10Alternate layers of broccoli and cauliflower in pan....Spoon sauce over veggies and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- 11Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- 12I like to crush up Ritz crackers and sprinkle them over the top of this dish for the last few minutes of baking :)