Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin Casserold
6 cbroccoli florets ( 1 large head)
6 ccauliflower florets (1 small head)
2 1/2 cmilk
1/4 tspcayenne pepper
·salt and pepper, to taste
2 cshredded cheddar, swiss, or gruyere cheese ( or a combination of any )
·ritz crackers , crushed ( for topping, optional )
How to Make Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin Casserold
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray 15 x 10 1/2-inch baking dish.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add broccoli for about 3 minutes (until crisp-tender). Remove with slotted spoon.
- Add cauliflower to boiling water and cook about 7 minutes (until crisp-tender). Drain, saving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a medium pan , melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour until it is blended.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, cream, and cooking liquid.
- Cook about 1 minute, whisking continuously, until mixture is thickened.
- Add in nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in egg yolk and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Alternate layers of broccoli and cauliflower in pan....Spoon sauce over veggies and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- I like to crush up Ritz crackers and sprinkle them over the top of this dish for the last few minutes of baking :)