Blondie's Cabbage and Squash...Healthy!
- 2 Tbsp
- evoo, extra virgin olive oil
- 2 c
- sweet yellow onion, large dice
- or 2 bell peppers of choice, large dice
- 2 c
- celery, sliced in 1" slices
- 2 tsp
- fresh finely minced garlic
- cabbage head, cut in 2" pieces
- 3 c
- yellow crook-neck squash, 1/2" slices
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Blondie's Cabbage and Squash...Healthy!
- 1In a LARGE pan or 6qt or larger stock pot, put in EVOO on med-hi heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Lower heat to medium. Salt and pepper to taste. Continue to saute till onions are transparent.
- 2Then lower heat to low, stirring occasionally, while you're chopping cabbage and slicing squash. Add cabbage and squash to pan. Raise heat to med-hi and stir veggies until they are coated with the oil. Add salt and pepper again to taste.
- 3Lower heat to med-lo. Add about 1/2 cup water to help veggies steam. Cover. Leave the stuff alone for now.
- 4Check in 20 minutes and stir. If you need to add a little more water, well, go ahead! Cover. Leave the stuff alone again. Allow it to steam 15-20 min.
- 5Check it for doneness (how YOU like it.) If it's done then add a protein if you want to make it a main dish and stir.
NOTE: I add tofu to keep it vegan. The instructions how to cook it are below. If I want meat in it, I add ground pork~seasoned and drained well. OR Lean ground beef or turkey~seasoned and drained, if needed.
- 6I usually serve this with cornbread and as a side, sliced tomatoes.
- 7TO PREPARE TOFU~Drain extra firm tofu. Place in a colander. Cover with wax paper, or another barrier on top of it. Then put a weight on it (I use a 6" iron skillet) for about 30 min. You can do this while your cabbage mixture is cooking.
Then cube it into 1" pieces.
- 8Put about 1 cup of cornstarch in a med bowl. Season with salt and pepper. **Tofu is very bland, so like chicken, it needs seasoning to taste like anything** Coat tofu with cornstarch mix. In a saute pan on med heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil or any vegetable oil of choice. Saute tofu until coating is med brown and crispy.