Big Martha's Creamed Spinach
Anyway this recipe has made a convert to spinach by many of our southern friends.
- 2 1/2 lb
- fresh spinach, well washed (not dried) and tough stems removed
- 3 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
- 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 c
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp
- freshly grated nutmeg
- sour cream for serving (optional)
How to Make Big Martha's Creamed Spinach
- 1Place spinach in a large pot over high heat. Cook, covered, with just the water clinging to leaves, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a colander to drain, squeezing out and reserving excess liquid. Roughly chop spinach; set aside.
- 2In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, and cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk; season with salt, pepper, and sugar. Thin with reserved spinach liquid. Stir in spinach. Sprinkle with nutmeg to taste and, if desired, top with a dollop of sour cream. Serve immediately.