- 1 1/2 lb
- fresh beet greens
- 1 slice
- thick-cut bacon, or 1 tbsp. bacon grease
- 1/4 c
- onion, diced
- 1 clove
- garlic, minced
- 3/4 c
- 1 Tbsp
- 1/4 tsp
- ground red pepper, or red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp
How to Make Beet Greens
- 1Wash greens; drain. Wash and drain again. Cut away any woody stems ... you can keep the soft tender stems, just cut them into 1" pieces. Cut greens into pieces. Set aside.
- 2In a large skillet, fry the bacon until it renders about a tbsp. of fat, and the bacon becomes nicely browned. (I used the pre-cooked turkey bacon, and just chopped it, and saute'd it a bit in a tsp. of olive oil and a tbsp of butter).
- 3Lower your heat, so the onion and garlic don't burn!
Add the chopped onion, stirring for about 5 - 7 minutes, until onion begins to soften and brown. Add minced garlic and stir well for about a minute - don't let garlic burn! Add water, sugar and red pepper.
- 4Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring to loosen any particles of onion/garlic/bacon from bottom of the pan (deglazing the pan).
Add the cut-up greens, stir well to coat w/ the water mixture, cover, lower heat to low, and allow to simmer for anywhere from 5 - 15 minutes, depending on desired doneness and tenderness.
- 5Add a splash of vinegar (about 1 - 2 tbsp.), stir through, and serve hot.