Back Burner Greens
2 bunchsturdy greens (collards, kale, etc.)
2 cvegetable stock
3-4 Tbspolive oil
1 largeonion, chopped
3 largecloves garlic, minced
1/2 tspkosher salt
1/4 tspblack pepper
How to Make Back Burner Greens
- Wash greens three times in water. Remove the tough stems, Tear up the leafy parts and place in a large stock pot.
- Add the vegetable stock to the greens and cook covered over med/hi heat until the greens wilt down.
- Meanwhile, saute the onion in the olive oil for a few minutes until clear. Add the garlic and saute a couple minutes more. Remove from heat and season with the salt and pepper.
- Transfer the wilted greens, stock, and sauteed onions/garlic to a medium saucepan with a tight fitting lid. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer on the lowest heat for two hours on your back burner. Use a heat diffuser if necessary to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Serve in a medium sized ramequin with a good cornbread on the side for sopping. Serves 6.