★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 3 1/2 lb
- (about six) winter squashes, such as acorn or butternut halved,seeded, stems removed, and bottoms trimmed to sit flat.
- 1 tsp
- chopped fresh sage
- 1 c
- chicken stock (if you are a vegetarian use vegetable stock)
- 4 clove
- garlic, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 c
- heavy cream
How to Make Autumn Squash with Sage-cream Sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Arrange squash halves, cut side up, in two 9-by-13-inch baking dishes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle sage over each, dividing evenly. Pour 1/2 cup stock into each baking dish and scatter garlic around squash. Cover with parchment, then foil, and bake until squash are tender when pierced with a fork. 45 to 55 min. Remove from oven.
- 2Heat broiler with rack about 8 inches from heat source. Use a slotted spoon to transfer garlic to a small bowl. Mash with a fork, then stir in cream and 2 tablespoons liquid from baking dishes. Spoon evenly over squash halves, including edges. Broil until bubbling and golden,3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.