Yam and Apple Scallop
4 mediumyams, cooked
2 mediumapples, cored and cut into rings
1/2 cchopped pecans
1 Tbsplemon juice
1 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
2 Tbspbutter, melted
How to Make Yam and Apple Scallop
- Wash yams and cut in half lengthwise. Place in a in a plastic bag without drying.
- Microwave on high for 10 minutes. If your microwave doesn't rotate while cooking, turn the bag once or twice during cooking. Cool slightly.
- Peel yams and cut in flat, lengthwise slices. About 1/2 inch thick.
- Butter a 9 of 10 inch round baking dish. Arrange a layer of yam slices in dish.
- Arrange a layer of apple slice on top of yams. Sprinkle with 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice.
- Mix together brown sugar, salt, mace, cinnamon and pecans. Cover apples with half of this mixture and drizzle with half the butter.
- Repeat all the layers. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 15 minutes. If your microwave doesn't rotate, turn the dish 2 to 3 times during cooking.
- NOTE: To microwave whole yams or sweet potatoes: 1 yam-5-6 minutes, 2 yams- 8-11 minutes, 3 yams- 12-15 minutes, 4 yams-19 minutes ** Just be sure to pierce the yams or sweet potatoes several times with a fork before microwaving so they don't explode.
- ***You can substitue sweet potatoes for the yams. It doesn't change the directions.