Yam and Apple Scallop
- 4 medium
- yams, cooked
- 2 medium
- apples, cored and cut into rings
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 c
- chopped pecans
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 1 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, melted
How to Make Yam and Apple Scallop
- 1Wash yams and cut in half lengthwise. Place in a in a plastic bag without drying.
- 2Microwave on high for 10 minutes. If your microwave doesn't rotate while cooking, turn the bag once or twice during cooking. Cool slightly.
- 3Peel yams and cut in flat, lengthwise slices. About 1/2 inch thick.
- 4Butter a 9 of 10 inch round baking dish. Arrange a layer of yam slices in dish.
- 5Arrange a layer of apple slice on top of yams. Sprinkle with 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice.
- 6Mix together brown sugar, salt, mace, cinnamon and pecans. Cover apples with half of this mixture and drizzle with half the butter.
- 7Repeat all the layers. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 15 minutes. If your microwave doesn't rotate, turn the dish 2 to 3 times during cooking.
- 8NOTE: To microwave whole yams or sweet potatoes: 1 yam-5-6 minutes, 2 yams- 8-11 minutes, 3 yams- 12-15 minutes, 4 yams-19 minutes ** Just be sure to pierce the yams or sweet potatoes several times with a fork before microwaving so they don't explode.
- 9***You can substitue sweet potatoes for the yams. It doesn't change the directions.