Southern Collard Greens my way
3 lbcollard greens, cleaned and then torn by hand into pieces
1 largeonion, (red or yellow), cut in half and thin sliced
1 largesmoked hamhock
2 Tbspliquid smoke
1 Tbspsea salt
1 Tbspblack pepper, freshly ground
2 Tbspminced garlic
2 cchicken broth
·frank's or louisiana hot sauce to serve with
How to Make Southern Collard Greens my way
- Cut off and discard the tough stems and discolored leaves from the greens. Wash them thoroughly to make sure all sand and dirt have been removed. I have noticed already bagged collards in the stores so if you desire you can take that option as well.
- In a stock pot add the liquids, seasonings, hamhock and stir very well. Add the sliced onions and then the collards. Stirring well once more. You can adjust the water amount in case the greens are not covered enough.
- Cook on medium heat and cover pot with a lid. Cook till the greens are soft and the hamhock is falling apart. Stir occasionally making sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot.
- Once they are finished cooking you can take out the hamhock carefully and pull the meat off of the bones and add it back in to the pot.
- Hope you enjoy this recipe. I also serve cornbread with it along with the hot sauce. ;)