1 largefresh portabello mushrooms stems removed per person.
1-3leaves of fresh basil per mushroom
1-3 sliceripe tomato per mushroom
1/2 cmozzarella cheese shredded per mushroom
1 jar(s)pizza sauce 16 0z for 4 mushrooms
How to Make PortaBella Pizza
- With a damp paper towel wipe the mushrooms to remove any dirt. Drizzle a little olive oil into the mushroom very little. And swirl it around to coat the inside.
- Depending on the size of the mushroom and the basil leaves will decide how many leaves to use. You want to cover the inside of the mushroom like you would a pizza crust. * tip* Cut the basil into pieces when assembling making the mushroom easier to cut when served.
- Again depending on the size of the mushroom and the tomato will decide how many slices of tomato you will use. Make a single layer of the tomato covering the basil. If you like you can add your favorite pizza seasonings at this point, a little oregano, garlic, even onion powder would be nice and for those that like pepper flakes. Or you can serve the seasoning on the side. I use no seasonings because the basil is so flavorful.
- Top the tomatoes with 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Place in a baking dish and bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Heat the pizza sauce on the stove top. Serve on the side. If your serving buffet style and keeping them in a heating tray place the sauce and set the mushrooms in the sauce. Just enough sauce to cover the bottom of the mushroom to help keep them from getting dry. If it is a large party cut the mushrooms in half to make them go farther.