My mother's Escalloped Corn
12 ozcanned whole kernel corn, draned.
1 can(s)cream style corn
1 tspsalt (optional)
1/2 tspwhite pepper
1 ccrushed soda crackers
How to Make My mother's Escalloped Corn
- Mix corn with the salt (if using), pepper and sugar.
- Melt butter over low heat; whisk in the flour; cook flour and butter over the heat for a few minutes, but do not let it start to turn brown.
- Slowly whisk in the milk (my mother would warm the milk first, but I've never done that). Whisk constantly until the sauce thickens. Add sauce to the corn mixture.
- Put 1/2 of corn into greased casserole; cover with 1/2 of crumbs; repeat corn and crumb layers.
- Bake in 350 degree oven til center is bubbly, and crumbs are lightly browned, about 25 to 30 minutes.