GREEN BEANS WITH COUNTRY HAM
1 Tbspolive oil or bacon grease
1 cdiced country ham or 1 ham hock
1 largeonion, chopped (vidalia or walla walla are best)
1 clovefresh garlic, finely minced or put through a garlic press
1 tspground black pepper
·water (enough to cover beans by 1 1/2 inches)
1- 1 1/2 qtbroken green beans
2 tspham flavored soup base/bouillon (optional)
How to Make GREEN BEANS WITH COUNTRY HAM
- Quickly add about 2 cups of water to the pot and increase heat to high. (If using ham hock, add now.)
- Add green beans and enough water to cover by at least 1/12 to 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low/medium-low, cover and let simmer for 2 hours, checking every 1/2 hour to see if additional water is needed.
- Add 2 teaspoons ham soup base, cover loosely (to allow some evaporation) and simmer 1 to 3 additional hours, occasionally checking liquid level in pot. (Allow liquid level to reduce to just barely covering the beans.)
- NOTE: Small red potatoes may be added during last 1/2 hour of cooking if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate leftovers.