Berry-Mallow Yam Bake
How to Make Berry-Mallow Yam Bake
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, oats, and cinnamon. Cut in butter with a fork or pastry blender, until coarse crumbs form.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently stir together the yams and cranberries.
- Lightly toss 1 cup of the crumb mixture with the yams-cranberries.
Spread evenly in a 1 1/2 to 2 qt. baking dish, that has been prepared with food release spray.
- Cover with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350* for 35 minutes.
Remove from oven, sprinkle with marshmallows, and return to oven until marshmallows are lightly browned.
- NOTES: I like to spread the love, so I cut the cranberries in half before mixing them with the yams. This takes a few extra minutes, but it's well worth it.
If fresh cranberries are too tangy for you, you can easily substitute a can of whole berry cranberry sauce. Just scramble it up in the can a bit, then dollop around on top the yams, before adding the crumb topping.
I have also made this recipe with fresh yams or sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced, about 3-4 cups. It will need more baking time if you use fresh; plan 50-60 minutes.
If you're in a hurry, you can put the pan under the broiler to toast the marshmallows.
Reheats very well. My family even eats it for breakfast!
*This recipe is easily made gluten free, by using GF oats and GF all purpose flour.