Awesome Coleslaw Dressing
Andy Anderson !
What’s a chef to do? Answer: Go into the test kitchen and make up one of my own.
This is one of my shorter recipes, but some of the best recipes have the fewest steps.
So, you ready… let’s get into the kitchen.
- 1/2 medium
- head of cabbage (i prefer napa)
- green onions, thinly sliced (white, and some of the green parts)
- 1/4 c
- flat leaf parsley
- 4 medium
- radishes, thinly sliced
- black pepper, roughly ground, to taste
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 medium
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- white wine vinegar
- 3 tsp
- capers, drained
- 1/3 c
- vegetable or grapeseed oil
How to Make Awesome Coleslaw Dressing
- 2Place the egg, vinegar, and capers into the bowl of a food processor fitted with an S-blade, and blend at high speed until smooth.
- 4Slowly pour in the oil (still running at high speed), until the ingredients emulsify.
- 5Chef’s Note: What is an emulsification? To emulsify means combining two liquids together which normally don't mix easily. The ingredients are usually oil or a fat like olive oil or egg yolks, and another liquid like water or broth. Acidic liquids like lemon juice (in our case vinegar) help the process by changing the pH of the mixture. The liquids are combined very slowly, usually drop by drop, while mixing vigorously, which suspends drops of liquid throughout each other. Bearnaise, hollandaise, and mayonnaise are examples of emulsified foods.
- 8Slice the half cabbage into 1/4 inch sections, and place on a serving plate.
- 9Spoon a generous portion of the dressing on top.