Kay Summitt Lewis
Optional ingredients: Minced cooked bacon bits, sliced or chopped mushrooms, finely chopped fresh spinach. I add all of them if I have them on hand.
4eggs (or egg substitute)
1 cmilk, 2%
1 cgrated cheese, 2% sharp cheddar
1 tspgrated nutmeg
1 tspthyme, dried
1/2 tsponion salt
1/2 tsppepper, finely ground
1 bunchasparagus, fresh
1unbaked pie shell
How to Make Asparagus Quiche
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place pie crust in large or deep pie dish, if you prefer to not use a crust, then lightly oil the pie dish. (Crust is optional.)
- Slice Asparagus spears into 1/2 inch segments except for the tops which should be left at 1-2 inch in length. Layer the 1/2 inch segments into the pie dish (on top of crust if using a crust.)
- Mix in a bowl the eggs, milk, and spices. Then add in the grated cheese of choice and stir until well mixed. If you use optional ingredients, add them to milk/egg mixture at this point. Pour this mixture into pie dish covering the 1/2 inch asparagus pieces.
- Arrange the asparagus tops around the top of quiche pointing to the edge of the pie.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes (with a crust) or 35-40 minutes without a crust. Check for doneness by inserting knife into quiche. If it comes out clean then it is done.
- Let quiche rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve quiche with a side salad and fresh fruit for healthy lunch or dinner