Yangzhou Fried Rice
Recipe courtesy Ching-He Huang, posted here for play in Culinary Quest.
- spicy ketchup sauce ingredients: (sauce - optional)
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- sriracha chili sauce
- fried rice ingredients:
- 1 small
- handful dried shrimp, (optional)
- 2 Tbsp
- peanut oil
- eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp
- peeled and grated ginger
- 1 medium
- carrot, cut in 1/4-inch dice
- 4 oz
- cooked chinese pork ( char siu) or ham, cut in 1/4-inch dice
- fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and diced
- 1 c
- frozen peas
- 3 c
- cooked jasmine rice, a day old
- 1 - 2 Tbsp
- light soy sauce
- sea salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 1 tsp
- toasted sesame oil
- 1 - 2
- green onions, sliced on a diagonal, for garnish
How to Make Yangzhou Fried Rice
- 1If desired, in a small bowl, soak the dried shrimp in hot water for 20 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- 2For the spicy ketchup sauce, if using: In a small bowl, combine the ketchup and chili sauce and set aside.
- 3For the fried rice: Heat a wok over high heat and add 1 tablespoon peanut oil. Add the eggs and scramble, then set aside on a plate.
- 4Add the remaining 1 tablespoon peanut oil to the wok.
- 5Add the ginger and stir-fry for less than 1 minute.
- 6Then add the carrots and stir-fry for 1 minute more.
- 7Add the pork, the soaked dried shrimp if using, and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- 8Then add the peas and cooked rice and toss together.
- 9Add the cooked egg back into the wok. pepper. Garnish with green onions and serve immediately.
- 10Season the mixture with the light soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- 11At the very end add the sesame oil and spicy ketchup sauce if using.
- 12Check the seasoning and adjust to taste with salt and pepper.
- 13Garnish with green onions and serve immediately.
- 14Note: For my picky eater,I would omit the dried shrimp and use fresh shrimp.