Yangzhou Fried Rice
Recipe courtesy Ching-He Huang, posted here for play in Culinary Quest.
·spicy ketchup sauce ingredients: (sauce - optional)
1 Tbspsriracha chili sauce
·fried rice ingredients:
1 smallhandful dried shrimp, (optional)
2 Tbsppeanut oil
3eggs, lightly beaten
1 Tbsppeeled and grated ginger
1 mediumcarrot, cut in 1/4-inch dice
4 ozcooked chinese pork ( char siu) or ham, cut in 1/4-inch dice
3fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and diced
1 cfrozen peas
3 ccooked jasmine rice, a day old
1 - 2 Tbsplight soy sauce
·sea salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
1 tsptoasted sesame oil
1 - 2green onions, sliced on a diagonal, for garnish
How to Make Yangzhou Fried Rice
- If desired, in a small bowl, soak the dried shrimp in hot water for 20 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- For the spicy ketchup sauce, if using: In a small bowl, combine the ketchup and chili sauce and set aside.
- For the fried rice: Heat a wok over high heat and add 1 tablespoon peanut oil. Add the eggs and scramble, then set aside on a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon peanut oil to the wok.
- Add the ginger and stir-fry for less than 1 minute.
- Then add the carrots and stir-fry for 1 minute more.
- Add the pork, the soaked dried shrimp if using, and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Then add the peas and cooked rice and toss together.
- Add the cooked egg back into the wok. pepper. Garnish with green onions and serve immediately.
- Season the mixture with the light soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- At the very end add the sesame oil and spicy ketchup sauce if using.
- Check the seasoning and adjust to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with green onions and serve immediately.
- Note: For my picky eater,I would omit the dried shrimp and use fresh shrimp.