Wow! The combination of flavors in this recipe are perfect together. Cumin is the shining star - you can really taste it. The lard adds a nice extra touch of flavor to the onions. We just kept on going back for one more bite, so we could see why it's highly rated by members. This is an excellent rice recipe to include with your next Mexican meal.
- 1 1/2 c
- long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 tsp
- ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 can(s)
- tomato sauce, 8 oz
- 4 c
- water (or 32 oz chicken stock)
- 1/2 medium
- 1 Tbsp
- lard or vegetable cooking oil
- 1 Tbsp
- salt (even, don't over do it!)
- cilantro, fresh - optional if you like it
How to Make Mexican Rice
- 6In the meantime, prepare your water with the garlic powder, ground cumin, and tomato sauce (of which you will only need about 6 oz, you can try to use the whole can but I have found it is just too much). Get the lid to your fry pan ready. Once your rice is toasted nicely you will add your water mixture quickly and cover with the lid immediately. It will smell sooo good!!! Now, why do I do it this way? My mother and grandmother said it was to capture ALL the flavor, so I do. :) (Some folks use chicken stock, try it if you want; it is a nice flavor. With this recipe I just don't think you need it. My grandmother or mother never needed it.)
- 8After 10 minutes remove lid. Lower heat to medium/low. Add 1 tablespoon of salt by sprinkling around the pan. At this time should the urge arise to stir, use whatever utensil you were using to stir the rice while you were toasting. Just push maybe 3 times from outer edge to center of pan with the utensil all the way to the bottom. DO NOT STIR. At this time if you like cilantro, add a couple of sprigs of cilantro just to the top of the dish and let it cook with it in there. Some folks add corn or mixed vegetable too. Once you're comfortable make it your own!
- 10See the consistency of the rice in this picture. This is what you are looking for. Your rice should be nice and tender but not mushy. Please feel free to message me for more help. I think this should do it. There is a way to use fresh garlic, cumin, and tomato. You need a stone mortar and pestle or molcajete (Spanish word). Message me if you want to know. It is so delicious and easy this way. I hope you enjoy it. My family loves it! Add chicken to the mix and you have arroz con pollo (Mexican rice with chicken, which is why some use chicken stock). That easy! SOOO DELICIOUS! I hope you like it. It really is nothing like you find in the Mexican restaurants. It's like what you find in the Mexican kitchen. Love.