Francesca's Risi E Bici
It's so simple to make and tastes great. Francesca always told me to use good quality cheese and wine, because you can taste the difference. She was right.
- teaspoon saffron thread
- cups chicken stock, very hot
- tablespoons butter, unsalted
- cup fresh fennel, chopped
- cup onion, sweet, chopped
- cup cremini mushroom, finely sliced
- cup arborio rice
- cup white wine, dry
- cups peas, petite, fresh (frozen & thawed)
- tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- cup parmesan cheese, grated, good quality
- teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- teaspoon salt, sea, fine
- teaspoon pepper, black, fresh ground
How to Make Francesca's Risi E Bici
- 1Put the saffron threads into the hot chicken stock to steep(keep warm).
- 2Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat, stir in fennel, onion and mushrooms and saute 4 minutes.
- 3Add the rice to the vegetable mixture, stir frequently until rice is shiny and has begun to absorb the butter.
- 4Lower the heat and add the wine, stirring constantly until the wine is absorbed.
- 5Next pour in 1/4 cup of the hot stock, stir constantly until the stock is absorbed; do this 1/4 cup at at time until all the stock has been absorbed by the rice.
- 6Stir in the peas and olive oil cook an additional 3 minutes.
- 7Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- 8Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 9Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese on top of the rice just before serving.