Francesca's Risi E Bici
It's so simple to make and tastes great. Francesca always told me to use good quality cheese and wine, because you can taste the difference. She was right.
1/2teaspoon saffron thread
4cups chicken stock, very hot
3tablespoons butter, unsalted
1/4cup fresh fennel, chopped
1/4cup onion, sweet, chopped
1/8cup cremini mushroom, finely sliced
1cup arborio rice
1/2cup white wine, dry
2cups peas, petite, fresh (frozen & thawed)
1tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1cup parmesan cheese, grated, good quality
1/4teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
1/4teaspoon salt, sea, fine
1/8teaspoon pepper, black, fresh ground
How to Make Francesca's Risi E Bici
- Put the saffron threads into the hot chicken stock to steep(keep warm).
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat, stir in fennel, onion and mushrooms and saute 4 minutes.
- Add the rice to the vegetable mixture, stir frequently until rice is shiny and has begun to absorb the butter.
- Lower the heat and add the wine, stirring constantly until the wine is absorbed.
- Next pour in 1/4 cup of the hot stock, stir constantly until the stock is absorbed; do this 1/4 cup at at time until all the stock has been absorbed by the rice.
- Stir in the peas and olive oil cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese on top of the rice just before serving.