Spicy Orange & Rum Laced Sweet Potatoes
These robust potatoes do not disappoint. They are great served with pork or chicken.
If so inclined, the potatoes looks great in its orange bowl, very festive.
- large sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
- tablespoons dark rum
- oranges (halved and hollowed out-cover with plastic wrap until needed)
- teaspoon baking powder
- cup coffee, strong
- cup brown sugar
- tablespoons honey, liquid
- tablespoons butter
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon ground black pepper
- cup blanched almond, chopped
- tablespoons orange zest, finely grated
- teaspoon cinnamon, ground fresh
- teaspoon nutmeg, ground fresh
- tablespoons slivered almonds (garnish)
How to Make Spicy Orange & Rum Laced Sweet Potatoes
- 1Boil the sweet potatoes in salted water, until they are fork tender, drain and put through a ricer, or mash really well.
- 2Place the potatoes in a warm bowl and add the coffee, butter, almonds, rum, baking powder, sugar, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange zest, salt and pepper making sure to mix well, after each addition.
- 3Showcase the sweet potatoes in the orange shells and garnish with the almonds and serve right away.