☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- red potatoes , medium size
- 4 Tbsp
- olive oil
- salt, pepper, garlic salt to taste
How to Make Skillet Smashed Potatoes!
- 1Either bake or steam the potatoes to the "almost done" but not mushy stage. I steamed 6 medium red potatoes and it took about 8-10 minutes in the microwave...rotating 1 time.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- 3Put 4 potatoes in the skillet and gently smash with something flat. I used a glass bottom.
You just want to smash the potato until it starts to open ...but not totally flat or it will fall apart.
(for picture purpose these were smashed on wax paper ) Smashing in the skillet is the best and easiest way.
- 4Let the side that's down really brown up good then add more olive oil and gently turn potato over to brown the other side.
Add salt, pepper, and a little garlic salt....enjoy with ketchup too if you desire. ;-)
- 5when the first 4 are done I put them on a plate in the oven to stay warm while I browned the other two.
- 6You can also use just about any kind of potato. Fingerlings are fun to smash this way too! The different colors make it interesting.
Sometimes if I have left over baked potatoes I'll refrigerate them then slice them up the next day and have crispy rounds. They're done the exact same way as these smashed potatoes.
- 7(IF the potato does fall apart...no big deal! scramble them all up and make hashbrowns ;-).They still will crisp up and be delicious!.