SCALLOPED POTATOES (SALLYE)
4-5 mediumbaking potatoes
1 mediumwhite onion
2 Tbspbutter or olive oil
3 Tbspall purpose flour
1 tspsea salt
1/2 tspground black pepper
1-1/2 cmilk (i use 2%)
4 ozgrated sharp cheddar cheese
How to Make SCALLOPED POTATOES (SALLYE)
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
Grease or lightly spray with oil a 9" square baking dish or pan. Set aside.
- Place heavy skillet or saucepan over medium high heat. Add butter until melted and beginning to foam, but not brown.
If using olive oil, allow it to heat until slightly rippling.
- Continually stir in flour, salt and pepper into butter or oil until a smooth (but not browned) roux like paste is formed.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened and smooth.
NOTE: You can add additional milk a tablespoon at a time if cheese mixture begins to get too thick.
Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese until well blended. Set aside.
- Peel potatoes, wash well and pat dry.
Cut half or the potatoes into thin slices and layer in bottom of baking dish with an oven safe cover..
- Peel onion and thinly slice half of it over the layer of potatoes.
- Pour half of the cheese mixture over the potatoes/onions.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 with balance of potatoes and onions.
- Pour the balance of the cheese mixture over the entire potato/onions.
- Cover and place in preheated oven.
NOTE: If you don't have a cover for your dish, cover it with foil.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake for 10-15 more minutes until potatoes are tender and bubbly.