SCALLOPED POTATOES (SALLYE)
- 4-5 medium
- baking potatoes
- 1 medium
- white onion
- 2 Tbsp
- butter or olive oil
- 3 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- sea salt
- 1/2 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 c
- milk (i use 2%)
- 4 oz
- grated sharp cheddar cheese
How to Make SCALLOPED POTATOES (SALLYE)
- 1Preheat oven to 350º F.
Grease or lightly spray with oil a 9" square baking dish or pan. Set aside.
- 2Place heavy skillet or saucepan over medium high heat. Add butter until melted and beginning to foam, but not brown.
If using olive oil, allow it to heat until slightly rippling.
- 3Continually stir in flour, salt and pepper into butter or oil until a smooth (but not browned) roux like paste is formed.
- 4Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened and smooth.
NOTE: You can add additional milk a tablespoon at a time if cheese mixture begins to get too thick.
Remove from heat.
- 5Stir in cheese until well blended. Set aside.
- 6Peel potatoes, wash well and pat dry.
Cut half or the potatoes into thin slices and layer in bottom of baking dish with an oven safe cover..
- 7Peel onion and thinly slice half of it over the layer of potatoes.
- 8Pour half of the cheese mixture over the potatoes/onions.
- 9Repeat steps 6 and 7 with balance of potatoes and onions.
- 10Pour the balance of the cheese mixture over the entire potato/onions.
- 11Cover and place in preheated oven.
NOTE: If you don't have a cover for your dish, cover it with foil.
- 12Bake for 50 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake for 10-15 more minutes until potatoes are tender and bubbly.