Potato, Cauliflower, Cheddar, Garlic, Mashies
Altho this version is more calorie laden bcuz of the bacon and cheddar cheese, it can be made without and still be very yummy. Roasting or smoking really improves the flavor of the veggies. Enjoy!
- 1 large
- head of cauliflower, cut into flowerettes
- 4 - 5 medium
- russet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1" cubes
- 6 oz
- bacon, cut up and cooked until crisp - reserve drippings
- About 8
- cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 c
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c
- sour cream, i use lite
- 1/4 c
- butter, softened
- 1 tsp
- seasoning salt
- 1 tsp
- bbq seasoning
- 1/2 tsp
- fresh black pepper
- additional milk if needed for creamier texture
How to Make Potato, Cauliflower, Cheddar, Garlic, Mashies
- 1Cut bacon up into a saute pan (I use scissors for this task) Cook bacon until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside, reserving bacon drippings.
Prepare potatoes, cauliflower, and garlic. Place in an aluminum lasagna pan. Toss with a few Tablespoons of the reserved bacon drippings. Season with seasoning salt, bbq seasoning, and pepper. I make this as a side when I am smoking other things - ie: ribs, chicken, brisket, etc.
- 2Smoke for about 3 hours at 250 degrees, or until tender when tested with a fork.
- 3Place in food processor (I did mine in 2 batches) add sour cream, butter, cheese, and a little milk if necessary for your texture preference. Process until smooth. Add more seasoning or garlic powder to taste, if you want. If you want them chunkier, you can hand mash together with masher.
- 4Place in a serving bowl and stir in crumbled bacon. Diced green onions are optional too. These are very good with or without bacon. I usually make them without, and by roasting the veggies in the oven before mashing. But for a special occasion, I made them like this with a little cheddar melted on top. They were so good, and everyone loved them.