Cheddary Goodness Mashed Potatoes
Each week, I think of it like a game show... "Here is your secret ingredient!" and it's my job to figure out what to do with bags full of gorgeous farm fresh produce.
This past week, my cooking challenge has been POTATOES... LOTS AND LOTS OF POTATOES!
These are a wonderful change from ordinary mashed potatoes and so quick and easy with on-hand ingredients.
This recipe was found in a local church cookbook.
6large potatoes, peeled and quartered
18 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1cup shredded cheddar, plus additional to garnish
1/2cup sour cream, do not use light
1/3cup finely chopped onion
1large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2-2tsp. salt, to taste
·chopped chives or green onion tops to garnish
How to Make Cheddary Goodness Mashed Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place potatoes in a large sauce pan. Cover with water and boil until very tender, about 20-25 minutes. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Add cream cheese, cheddar cheese, sour cream, onion, egg, salt and pepper. Beat until fluffy. Transfer to a greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Cover tightly and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Remove from oven.
- To Serve: I like to scoop individual servings into ramekins and top with additional cheddar cheese and chopped chives or chopped green onion tops.