Chinese - Shrimp Lo Mein
What's not too like, Stir-fried shrimp, assorted veggies and egg noodles generously coated in a salty and spicy sauce.
Seasoned with with the Chinese trinity - garlic, ginger and scallions.
This dish promises to be quicker and better than takeout, ready in just 35 minutes.
Posted here for play in Culinary Quest, Recipe courtesy of Kelsey Nixon
8 ozdried chinese egg noodles, or 1 pound fresh
1 pkgchicken bouillon mix, such as knorr, dissolved in 1 3/4 cups hot water
1/4 cplus 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
3 Tbsplow-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbspsesame oil
1 Tbspsriracha chili sauce
·lo mein ingredients:
2 Tbspvegetable oil
1 Tbspminced garlic
2 tspminced ginger
1 smallbunch scallions, white and green parts, sliced
1 lbshrimp, peeled and deveined
1 chinly sliced white button mushrooms
2 stalk(s)celery, thinly sliced
1 largecarrot, shredded
1/4head, napa cabbage, finely shredded
How to Make Chinese - Shrimp Lo Mein
- For the noodles: In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the noodles according to their package directions. Drain and set aside.
- For the sauce: Combine the bouillon, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil and Sriracha in a large glass measuring cup or small bowl and set aside. This may look like a lot of sauce, but you have a lot of noodles and veggies to coat!
- For the lo mein: Heat a wok over high heat. When hot, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, half the garlic, half the ginger and half the scallions and saute 30 seconds.
- Add in the shrimp and cook until they just start to turn pink and curl up, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the shrimp and aromatics to a plate and reserve.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and add the remaining garlic, ginger and scallions.
- Saute 30 seconds, and then add in the mushrooms, celery, carrots and cabbage.
- Saute the veggies until they begin to brown and caramelize, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Whisk the cornstarch into 2 tablespoons cold water. Once dissolved, add to the sauce.
- Add the sauce to the pan with the vegetables and bring to a simmer.
- Toss in the reserved shrimp, aromatics and noodles and serve!