Summertime Macaroni Salad Ala Aunt Max
The great thing about this is that it becomes the base for so many full meal recipes, Add cooked and cooled diced chicken and dill for a chicken salad. Or try adding a little Old Bay seasoning instead of salt and shells instead of macaroni then add shrimp. Mixed with tuna or salmon is another choice. Experiment! and have a beautiful summer!
1 lbcreamette macaroni ( or any type of pasta, cavatappi pictured)
3/4-1 creal mayonnaise ( may need a little more depending how your pasta absorbs)
3/4-1 csour cream (lite works as well as real) ( if you increase mayo also increase sour cream)
1 cupfinely diced celery
1 cupfinely diced cucumber
1/2-1 cupfinely sliced green onion(more or less to taste and strength of onions)
1-2diced firm body tomatoes (if not firm squeeze water out before adding and allow to drain slightly on paper towel)
How to Make Summertime Macaroni Salad Ala Aunt Max
- Cook macaroni to package directions. (do not overcook it will flatten the macaroni)
- While that is happening, prepare all the vegetables.
- Cool the macaroni. When the macaroni is finished cooking, pour off the hot water and immediately add very cold water to macaroni to stop the cooking process. You can either add some ice to the pot and stir the macaroni until chilled or you can pour off again and add more cold water. I find adding ice cubes the best method.
- When the macaroni is cool and drained, mix all the ingredients, except tomatoes, in a large bowl.
- When you have finished mixing thoroughly and have added the correct amount of salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes and fold them in gently so you do not end up with pink salad. Or you can sprinkle them over the top for a decorative touch.