- 16 slices
- bread, torn into small pieces
- 4-5 large
- eggs, starting with 4 (if too dry, add 1 more egg)
- 1/2 - 3/4
- cup milk, starting with 1/2 cup (if too dry, add 1/4 c. more)
- several large dashes of salt
- several large dashes of nutmeg
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
How to Make Wedding Dumplings
- 1Place a sheet of wax paper onto one 15x10x1-inch baking sheet. Set baking sheet aside.
- 2In a large bowl, beat the eggs.
- 3Add the milk, salt, and nutmeg; stir thoroughly.
- 4Add the torn bread, and mix thoroughly with your hands.
- 5Shape bread mixture into 7-8 medium sized balls (each about 2-1/2" to 3" in size).
- 6Place the dumplings onto the baking sheet, that was lined with the wax paper.
- 7Add vegetable oil to a deep fryer, and set the deep fryer to 375 degrees.
- 8When the deep fryer is hot enough, add the dumplings, and fry them until they're a golden brown (about 5-7 minutes) and turning them once or twice. (Don't worry if the dumplings look a bit dark in color. Once you cook them in boiling water, the dumplings lighten up a bit in color).
- 9Place the fried dumplings on paper toweling.
- 10To cook the dumplings: Place dumplings in a large pot of boiling water; and cook them uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove and serve the dumplings with a gravy of your choice.
- 11To freeze the dumplings: After the dumplings are deep-fried, and placed on paper towels; cool them to room temperature. Place the cooled dumplings in (freezer-type) Ziploc bags, and store them in the freezer. (You can freeze the dumplings for several months).
- 12Note: Thaw the frozen dumplings completely, before cooking them in boiling water.