Russian Wheat Porridge ~ Kutya
How to Make Russian Wheat Porridge ~ Kutya
- Place wheat berries in a large pan with enough cold water to cover. Soak overnight.
- The next day, drain wheat berries and refill pan with 4 c. water. Stir in
salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 2 hours, or until wheat berries are tender. If water gets too low, add
enough to cover wheat berries.
- While wheat berries are cooking, soak poppy seeds in a small bowl of lukewarm water for 30 minutes. Drain seeds and grind in a food processor or coffee grinder. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread almonds on a baking sheet and toast for 3 to 5 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Set aside to cool.
- When wheat berries are tender, drain and place in a large serving bowl. Stir in poppy seeds, honey, raisins, and two-thirds of toasted almonds. Mix well. Garnish with remaining almonds and sprinkle cinnamon over all. Serve warm.