Fried Tortilla Side Dish/Tortilla Frita Con Queso
15/ 20 mediumsize corn tortillas cut in triangle pieces small
1 largesweet vidalia onion diced
4 clovefresh garlic smashed
1 largehandfull of diced cilantro
1/2 ccanola oil
3/4 cgood homemade salsa (see my post for red table salsa)
1/2 tspcumin powder
1/4 tspblack ground pepper
1 1/2 cshredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
1 sprig(s)diced cilantro for garnish
1/2 tspgarlic powder
How to Make Fried Tortilla Side Dish/Tortilla Frita Con Queso
- Cut all of your corn tortillas in triangles or small pieces. Set aside
You cannot use flour tortillas in this recipe.
- Next heat canola oil in deep pot until shimmering add diced onions, smashed diced garlic, and cup of diced cilantro sauté until onion is translucent.
- Next remove onion, garlic and cilantro mixture and add the tortillas to the hot oil. Fry the tortillas in the oil until they start to breakdown a little. About 3 minutes add the onion and cilantro mixture back to the tortillas and continue to mix and fry.
- Next add the salsa, and spices oregano, cumin, black pepper, garlic powder, salt, and continue to mix and cook over medium flame. Tortillas will somewhat stick to the pan no matter add just a little water like a 1/4 cup and stir well to blend everything. When all is mixed well try not to break up the tortillas to much it will look like mush if you mix too hard. Last add the grated cheddar or pepperjack cheese and mix well.
Remove from flame just as cheese starts to melt garnish with a little diced cilantro serve alongside your favorite meat dish. Serve with a spoonful of salsa on top.
- Sometimes my grandmother would fry eggs sunnyside up and serve the eggs on top of this fried tortilla side dish for lunch. We were in heaven. Just delicious. Enjoy.